Teach Tech Play 2017 Recap

The Star Class

I haven't posted on this blog since 13 December 2015. I lost my confidence in MY teaching. I felt like what I was doing in the classroom was just keeping my head above water. So I stopped sharing my ideas and thoughts.

On April 3-4, I attended the Teach Tech Play conference at Ivanhoe Grammar School in Melbourne. After 2 days of professional learning, my mind was buzzing! 

...and I got my teaching mojo back! 

Teach Tech Play 2017 Conference Recap

I missed the opportunity to attend the 2016 conference, so when it was announced that there would be a 2017 conference, I jumped to it! 

This is a one page overview that I created from my notes to share with my colleagues at my school. It's full of links to the people and sites that I learnt about. 

Click on the image to get a larger view


These are the notes I frantically scribbled down as I was listening to keynote speakers, and presenters during the sessions.

Notes (Page 1) from #TTPlay 2017
Notes (Page 2) from #TTPlay 2017

I tried to cram as much as I could into my notes during each session. Some sessions were really hands-on, so I couldn't write as much.

The NoTosh Curriculum Kitchen was a fun and engaging session, combining collaboration with creativity. We used these 'ingredients' to create a structure for lesson design and delivery. 

The ingredients - NoTosh Kitchen

The meal - NoTosh Kitchen

I also checked out 3D Printing. There were several printers situated throughout the conference, set up so participants could have a go at printing something. It took a while, but I managed to squeeze in a small print job - a pencil holder like the one pictured below. I needed a bit of help to make my print job manageable (it was originally going to take 4 hours to print!), so a HUGE thank you goes to Chris Ly, the 3D Printing Guy. He reduced the design of the pencil holder to hold 12 pencils, and the print time to 2 hours.

3D printed objects

3D Printer

If you look carefully at my notes, you may notice that a lot of the sessions I attended were presented by Matt Miller. I'll admit, I really enjoyed listening to him, and if a session I wanted to go to was full, I'd find another of Matt's sessions to attend. I also grabbed a copy of his book, Ditch that Textbook, which he autographed for me!



Matt Miller co-hosts a podcast called The Google Teacher Tribe alongside Kasey Bell. I have loved listening to Matt and Kasey, their podcast is informative and hilarious. They have even inadvertently coined a new hashtag #superexcited, and I am super excited to hear more of their podcasts. The final episode so far, Staying Productive with Google Chrome, was recorded just after Matt Miller got back from the #TTPlay conference!

I learnt so much from my time at Teach Tech Play, I am still trying to process it all. Hopefully, you might get something out of my notes that you want to try out!

Thanks for visiting!





Comments

  1. So glad that you are sharing again Bec! Have a great 2017, can't wait for your next post 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! I hope you are well and enjoying teaching.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Feel free to comment!