Treasure Island Maths

Whoops! Have you ever thought that you've done a job and ticked it off your to-do list only to find that it was never done?
Sadly, I have.

Last year, with my lovely Year 2s, I did a coordinates and mapping activity in Mathematics. I got them to draw a treasure island which had to include the following things:


  • Treasure (either a treasure chest or an 'x' marks the spot)
  • 5 palm trees
  • a pond/lake
  • a volcano and 
  • 2 animals (any type)


Once they had draw their map with the features, they then had to guide the pirates to the treasure. Their instructions had to be clear and concise, using either directions (N, E, S, W) or the coordinates. I also stipulated that each square was equal to 10 steps. I had some really creative results and some interesting directions.


Treasure Island BLM

For Year 2 the Australian Curriculum outcome is: ACMMG044 Interpret simple maps of familiar locations and identify the relative positions of key features. This is an extension of that outcome, with the students not only   interpreting and identifying, but creating as well.


My students loved it so much that they wanted to do a second one! Here are their completed examples:









What I loved about this activity was the way it showed my student's creativity and understanding of mapping and coordinates. Some were very basic, but some were incredibly detailed and showed a great understanding of directions.


If you would like to try out this lesson, I have the BLM on my Freebies page. I have edited it to have both the Australian Curriculum outcome and without. This version doesn't have pictures, but you could always add your own pirates if you wish. 


Now that I have posted this activity, I can finally tick it off my list as done!
Thanks for stopping by!

Bec

Comments