The BFG: Dream Jars, Dictionary and a FREEBIE

I'll start off with a warning: I love children's literature! One of my all time favourite authors is Roald Dahl. I just love the wonderful characters, the quirky made-up language and the tales of small children overcoming insurmountable odds. I really enjoy sharing my love of these tales with my classes. We started reading The BFG last term, and we are really enjoying hearing about snozzcumbers, frobscottle and the most amusing by far, whizzpoppers

Dreams

If you have never read The BFG, here's a synopsis
We are up to the 14th chapter: Dreams. In this chapter, The BFG describes the dreams to Sophie. There are two main kinds of dreams, Golden Phizzwizards (good dreams) and Trogglehumpers (nightmares).

After reading this chapter, we created our own dream jars filled with either a Golden Phizzwizard or a Trogglehumper. Here's a photo of our dream jars all displayed on the window together.

The BFG Dream Jars by 2H
Some of the dream jars were filled with interesting dreams. 

A golden phizzwizard
A golden phizzwizard
A trogglehumper 
A trogglehumper

The class had fun creating dreams and writing them on the labels on the dream jar. Then they drew a picture of one part of the dream. My lovely LSA (Learning Support Assistant), Kaye, mounted the dream jars on coloured paper, and laminated them. She even gave the golden phizzwizards a little gold glitter!


Freebie

I have uploaded the Dream Jar template to Google Docs and you can get it here. On the template is a 'label' for writing the dream, and a space for illustrating part of the dream underneath. I would love to see how others use it, so feel free to share a link to your blog with how you have used or displayed your dream jars. :)
(This is my very first freebie, all hand-drawn. I'm hoping I'll be able to create more to share at a later stage.)



Our BFG Dictionary

We also started our own BFG Dictionary. There are so many made-up words in The BFG that we needed a place to collect and define some of those words. Here it is:

Our BFG Dictionary with pictures from The BFG and some of the made-up words.

F is for frobscottle and flushbunking

W is for whizzpopper, winkles, Wigglish and wraprascal

Some of the definitions we inferred from the text, others we came up with by ourselves. We had fun making up the definitions of these words! Our dictionary is a work in progress, and we continue to add to it as we read through the book.

I hope you enjoy reading The BFG as much as I do, and create a few definitions or dreams for yourself!

Comments

  1. I love your idea of the dream jar! What age did you do this with? - Kerryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was done with an Australian Year 2 class - 7 and 8 year olds.
    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Feel free to comment!